Sunday, February 8, 2009

Cody's, a requiem

Cody’s in San Francisco has actually been closed for a few years now, but I still remember the experience of walking in for the first time. The upstairs wasn’t terribly remarkable, about the size of your standard Starbucks, but then you took the escalator down. As you descended more and more bookstores came into view, until the full size of Cody’s hit you. The basement was comparable to two of Stacey’s floors. Like Stacy’s, they also had authors come to speak. It was there that I heard Lewis Black of the Daily Show speak. I was really excited about getting a picture will him, stood in line for a long while. Just as I got up to him, and a third person was just about to take the picture….the battery died. It was there that I began a love/hate relationship with my camera and its power-sucking properties.
But I'm rambling. There is still a Cody's in Berkeley, but it doesn't have the atmosphere of the old Cody's.

And if there is a lesson here, its to not name your bookstore with a single, apostrophized name. Watch out Kepler's!

No comments:

Post a Comment